Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Benched in Italy



One would think that when she arrived in an Italian restaurant, that she’d be welcomed by a whirl of appetizing aromas, but she’d be wrong. When I stepped into this stereotypical Olive Garden, for some reason all I could smell was dirty diapers. Still, even after being seated, that’s all I can smell. I hope my sensory adaptation kicks in soon before my food arrives. No one else seems to notice the smell though, and I promise it’s not me, haha.

As I said, I’m at Olive Garden, but I don't think I mentioned that I am here unaccompanied. No, I didn’t get stood up for a date. No, I didn’t try to invite anyone to come with me, and yes, I could have gotten any number of friends to come with me, but no, I don’t feel lonely here at all. It feels so good to enjoy a solitary meal every now and then. I never thought that I'd be one of those people who could go to a movie alone, which I still haven't done, or to eat at a restaurant alone, but I've come to not mind eating alone at all. Don’t get me wrong, I love people, but it’s so nice not to have to keep up a conversation, or worry about talking with my mouth full in order to be appropriately invested in whatever topic that would be taking place. It's nice to just be able to, be.

Also, my salad just came out, which means that I get to leave the olives, purple cabbage, and peppers in the bowl, and I can steal all of the tomatoes I want. If I were here with anyone, I would have to be polite, and unselectively take my share of the salad, but I don't have to worry about that today. This all sounds very selfish now that I think about it, but it’s a savored rarity.

Right now, I’m watching all of these people around me put cheese, on their cheese. “Would you like some cheese on your alfredo?” –Isn’t that just a little redundant? –Also, I can’t smell the diapers anymore.

So now I’m eating the soup that I tried to replicate from scratch a few weeks ago. I like theirs better still, but I can’t figure out why. Maybe I’ll try again. Also, I swear I just blinked and now my soup is gone. Funny how that happens. In case you’re wondering, I ordered the Chicken Florentine Panini and Chicken Gnocchi soup with salad. I’m eating it all.

I really don’t have anything profound to say, I just feel like writing.

Ah, I see a little older lady in her late sixties who’s just been seated, all by herself. She walked in purse on arm, book in hand, wearing a pleasant, placid smile on her face. I glanced to her left hand and noticed that there was a ring on her ring finger. It seems that I’m not the only one who enjoys a solitary meal every now and again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment